Google

Saturday, June 19, 2004

board exam aftermath

So I took the architecture licensure exams last week. Now what? Now, we wait. And good things come to those who wait. Or not.

A lot of people have a lot to say about the board exams, so I’m not even going to go there. (Okay, maybe I’ll sprinkle in a little of my views here & there.) My main concern is getting through the next few weeks of prolonged agony, known as THE WAIT.

As I type, there are close to a thousand examinees who are anxiously scanning the dailies for any hint of an early report. But, as we all know, we always get hit when we least expect it. So maybe not ALL applicants / examinees are anxious. Some are writing posts about other people’s tension. (Guilty as charged!) But most would be mulling over the exam questions, the design problem, and the X number of sheets they were able to produce in 11 hours. Some would be researching on answers. Others would be comparing notes. “Ano sagot mo sa utilities, yun eklat eklat blah blah blah… C pinili ko. Kaw? Ha? Hindi ba ano yun?” But even those kind of distractions run out… so what do you do in the meantime? Eat. Sleep. Do whatever it is you usually did before you took the exams. Look for a job. Go back to work. Or, if you can afford it (which I know many can't), go on vacation. Take a trip. Just don’t dwell on the past.

On top of it all, keep in mind that you did the best you could, given such heinous circumstances. If it were up to me, all of us who took the exam should be given medals of valor. Everyone I saw had that “last man standing” attitude. (They’re not going to take us alive!!!) And with all the planted landmines and thrown grenades and time bombs we were subjected to during the course of 72 hours (not counting the supposed 24-hour hiatus, which was spent replenishing ammo) – we should be considered heroes. To go into rooms armed only with Number Two pencils, a calculator (which, incidentally, does little to help, programmable or otherwise) and black ballpoint pens, taking unexpected hit after unexpected hit. At the end of the ordeal, everyone felt that they were pretty much done for. But, dear examinees, remember: the wisdom of men does not compare to the wisdom of God. Therefore do not feel that you are the only inadequate architect wannabe walking the face of the earth. Because, in truth, everyone is. Others are just delusional.

Think not of the exam results, and if you had done all you can to prepare for it. Because you probably did prepare enough, and, in all honesty, there is no way you could have done better, save for getting contraband reviewers (read: LEAKAGE) or becoming psychic. If you fail, well, then it’s just further proof that the exam does not properly gauge one’s abilities to become a competent professional. That much I know, and believe with all my heart. So if I don't pass, I comfort myself in the knowledge that eighty percent of the people who speak to me about the board exam expect me to top it, in one way or another. And all of them expect me to pass “with flying colors”. Apparently, the board of architecture, who do not know me personally, how I work, how I think, and how I go about my personal business, are more in a position to judge my architectural competency than my office colleagues, my classmates, my bosses, my professors, my family or my friends. Do you really think I’d fall for that kind of logic? Would you???

2 Comments:

Blogger Maniniyut said...

nice entry. i think you should post this in arkiboks :)

Sunday, June 20, 2004 10:17:00 pm  
Blogger super inday said...

abet - thanks =) i did post it on arkiboks same day i posted this on my page... natabunan lang ng ibang posts =) what can i say, maraming "posters" ang arkiboks =)

Monday, June 21, 2004 8:08:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home