Google

Thursday, July 01, 2004

confessions of a bookworm

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." -Erasmus

i just came back from singapore, and half my expenses were on BOOKS and related materials. i went to asia's largest bookstore, kinokuniya, but (much to my dismay) wasn't able to spend more than fifteen minutes on the wooden floors because it was on the tail end of a shopping spree. i could literally get lost in that bookstore for a day, and still go back for more the next morning. unfortunately, they don't have couches and armchairs for browsing (at least, i didn't see any in my fifteen-minute visit). and speaking of couches, borders is another bookstore i should have visited. book lovers reportedly hang out there until midnight just looking through the collection. mmmmmm...

in the past few days of dawdling after the board exam, i have finally got around to tackling my growing pile of reading material. for the first time since i started my architectural education, i was able to do some intensive leisure reading. and i realized just how much i missed it. endless hours poring over texts, fiction or otherwise, historical or fantasy. that part of me which has an affinity for literature has been reawakened, and along with it, my dreams of becoming a writer. now that i have some spare time, i can finally work on my book (haha).

i don't quite understand why i love to read. it's just been something i've done ever since i was seven. there is something about following an author's thoughts that grips me... i can finish even the most boring or disappointing book. (i think the only book i didn't finish is homer's oddyssey. it was required reading in high school, but i didn't have to take the finals, therefore, did not need to finish the book. but i have a personal mission to finish it within my lifetime.) i still have a pile of books to be read, and i don't think i'll ever have my fill of reading. each time i finish one book there is another that i add to my ever-growing list. as long as i can see, i'll continue to read.

me and my sisters, we go crazy whenever there is a book sale. it's one of the little pleasures we have in life. we're funny that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home