Google

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

9pm

Tears streamed down my face as I drove away. I didn’t know where to go...
I just wanted to get away from where I was. Soon I was I headed towards the nearest familiar place I could find.

The university.

As I drove past buildings that once formed the only world I know, my heart slowed down a little. Even in the darkness, the streets seemed to welcome me like an old friend. I rolled down the windows of my car and took a deep breath. Somehow the air seemed cleaner under the age-old trees that lined avenues I knew so well.

I parked my car next to the open field. I needed to talk to someone.

I called the one person who I knew would listen and understand.
The one person who wouldn’t judge me, whatever I did.

I was afraid he wouldn’t answer. We haven’t spoken for ages. Ring... ring...

Maybe he’s asleep. Maybe he’s out. Maybe... “Hello?”

He picked up after the fourth ring. It had seemed like forever.

“Hi,” I said, trying to sound normal. But he knew me too well.

“What’s up?”

“I just had a bad day...”

I poured out my heart to him like I did so many times, years ago. And he listened attentively, as he always did. He spoke gently, as one who truly understands. Just hearing his soothing voice calmed my nerves.

When I was done he helped me pull myself together.
Then he told stories to make me smile. I laughed...

Beep.

I stared at my phone. I had run out of batteries.

And all I could think of was how I didn’t get to thank him, or say goodbye.

I stepped out of the car and walked towards the open field.
The wind blew clouds across the evening sky,
and the cool air reminded me that Christmas was near.

I lay on the dew-laden grass and stared upwards at the stars. Then I said a little prayer for the friend that had once been so much more.

4 Comments:

Blogger iamKayan said...

hey! my tears almost fell from this blog of yours ~
long live the fairy tale people like us!
God Bless. :)

here's my blog link pala:
www.iamkayanbh.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 27, 2004 2:28:00 pm  
Blogger iamKayan said...

and by the way, cool profile picture you got! glad to hear i am not alone with my "take-a-picture-of-your-feet" idea. i even wrote about it in my blog.

Saturday, November 27, 2004 2:36:00 pm  
Blogger RT said...

Hope whatever made you cry is now resolved. :(

Monday, November 29, 2004 1:55:00 am  
Blogger Wacky Addy said...

at times when your sorrows can't be flushed in the loo, you just wish the world would give you a break so that you can have a sabbatical. but life can be adjudged to be unfair because the world doesn't stop for you, so yes, a dear friend is a blessing in disguise.

hooray for warm talks and a cheerful attitude just when you need those.

Monday, November 29, 2004 1:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home