Google

Saturday, September 04, 2004

to all the men i've loved before

and still love to this day.

no, not my exes. my guy friends.

my life would never be the same without them. and i am eternally grateful to these creatures who seem to be gifted with patience. (and high tolerance levels?) they listen to me gripe when i have a bad day. they help me pull myself together when i get lost on the highway. they laugh and poke fun at me when i talk about my so-called admirers. they offer to call me up when i'm feeling down... or if they're not quite sure how to handle the situation, they ask a gal pal from halfway around the world to call me up. they make me smile or laugh out loud with their slapstick comments. they provide me with valuable male insight when i have just about had it with men. they give me unexpected phone calls just to have some lighthearted conversation. they take verbal - and even physical - abuse during my "grar" moments. what can i say? guy friends are a commodity i cannot live without.

though i grew up in an exclusive girls' school (yes, i am an ican. and yes, i know i don't always look or act like one.) i seem to prefer the company of males on most days. i suppose the mystery of the male psyche is part of my preference. i already know how women think. men, on the other hand, are totally different animals. they never cease to amuse and surprise me, even though "you are SUCH a guy" is fast becoming my favorite expression. i already have some theories on male behavior stocked up in my mind, but i am sure i've still got a long way to go before i can truly understand them.

and it goes both ways. my guy friends cannot completely understand me. (actually, i don't think my gal pals don't really understand me, either, but we're digressing.) they, being male, do not exert much effort into deciphering my behavior. as such, they simply let me be, and chalk up my dramatic episodes as "being a woman". it's quite convenient for all parties concerned. they let me cry when i need to. they let me scream when i want to. heck, they let me hit them when i have to. they help me get through emotionally taxing moments by simply being there to take my rantings and beatings. and at the end of the day, they're still my friends.

which is all the more reason for me to love them.

1 Comments:

Blogger mush said...

i can relate with that. i think guys simply let you be. whereas with girls...sometimes you have to put on a mask just so you won't offend their feelings. or sometimes you have to make a favorable impression just so they would like you. basta hirap sakyan minsan. with guys, you can be more open and honest with them. they could take crap and you could get away with it...of course, in proper context.:)

Sunday, September 05, 2004 7:32:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home