Google

Sunday, February 20, 2005

of moms and men

meet my mom. conservative, paranoid, nosey, suffers from ADD and selective amnesia. suspicious of any non-blood related male whose name i mention more than twice in my lifetime.

example #1
mom : you're going out?
me : yes, i'm going to meet *guy 1* to discuss the church play.
mom : where are you meeting?
me : just somewhere nearby, along *street name*
mom : when you have your meetings, is it just the two of you or are you in a group?
me : sometimes it's just us two, sometimes it's the whole crew...
mom : and today?
me : just him and me.
mom : how long is your meeting going to be?
me : just a short while, we're just going to iron out a few details.
mom : you've been spending a lot of time with *guy 1* (trailing off)
me : it's just until the play is over. (simultaneously thinking - why don't you just say i stop working because i spend too much time with my male boss???)


example #2
mom : where'd you get that cake? (the ones that come in red boxes and are given away during chinese new year)
me : my officemate gave it to me.
mom : a boy or a girl?
me : boy.
mom : he gave you that for no reason?
me : he hitches a ride home with me sometimes.
mom : and how often does that happen?
me : two to three times a week.
mom : where does he live?
me : in *place between work and home*
mom : he's the only one who rides with you?
me : sometimes. (make speedy exit to avoid further inane questions)


example #3
mom : what happened to *guy 3*?
me : i don't know, he just stopped showing up.
mom : well, that's kind of rude.
me : mmm.
mom : he didn't seem very polite, actually. don't you think?
me : i don't know him that well, mom. (thinking - he has to let me know he's not showing up to be considered polite??? he doesn't even show up often enough for it to be considered unusual to be absent!)


example #4
mom : so how was the movie?
me : it was ok.
mom : what did you watch?
me : *blockbuster movie title*
mom : how many of you were there?
me : three.
mom : just you and two others? who?
me : *guy 4* and *guy 5*
mom : boys?
me : yup.
mom : so you're the only girl?
me : yeah. (thinking - what part of boys don't you understand? and the last time i checked - yes, i'm still a girl)
mom : that's a little... odd. (probably thinking - inappropriate, more like it) what happened to your other co-workers?
me : they couldn't go, or didn't want to.
silence.
mom : so what do you think of *guy 4* and *guy 5*?
me : ma, i've only been in this firm two months. i don't know them that well.
mom : yeah, but what do you think of them so far?
me : they're ok as co-workers. (thinking - might as well cut to the chase) *guy 4* has a girlfriend.
mom : ok.
pause.
mom : how about *guy 5*?
me : he's younger. (thinking - end conversation NOW!)


my mom is probably another reason why i can't have a normal relationship.

11 Comments:

Blogger mush said...

how does she react about boyfriends then?

aha! alam ko na name nung naging BF mo in GF, hehe.:D

Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:58:00 pm  
Blogger super inday said...

boyfriends? that's a whole other story... don't want to open that can of worms just yet.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a conversation. My mom isn't like that, but I bet she's dying to have that kind of conversation with me. Never underestimate the power of --- silence and almost momno-syllabic answers.

Example:

Curious relative: saan ka pupunta?
Me: Diyan lang.
Curious relative: Ano'ng oras balik mo?
Me: Mamaya.
Curious relative: Sino kasama mo?
Me: Friends.
Curious relative: Sino yung tumawag?
Me: Wala lang.

End of discussion.

~the orange cocktail

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:17:00 am  
Blogger DumbGenius said...

Do what i do.. say that the person in mind is younger (or a lot younger) so as to stop the conversation then and there... it seemed to work for you already, hehe.. it works for me! bwahahahaha!

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:21:00 am  
Blogger mignac said...

your mom and mine are of the same sub specie: motherus investigatorus,

and im a guy. anyway, i feel for you! hehe...

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:12:00 am  
Blogger super inday said...

rei - thanks for the tip!!! will see if it works ;) but i think moms are programmed to be inquisitive... regardless of how much information you give them! well, that's how it works with my mom, at least. thanks for dropping by! ;)

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:59:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fong! I couldn't stop laughing when I read your post... my entire family's like that. Just cross your fingers that she doesn't start making assuming comments when your guy friends actually meet her! One time, I had the misfortune of having to introduce a guy to her and she actually said "Ah! You're *insert guy's name*. So, ikaw pala yung..." and she never completed the sentence (and it's not like she knew anything about who the guy was!). That's the moment you give the earth permission to swallow you up. Haha. --Chinggay

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this entry of yours! Just think that in Gilmore Girls the mom is still as inquisitive as that even if she's already an example of a cool mom. Give us a decade or so and we'll be acting that way too =P -- risha

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny. Funny... funny

your mom makes for a great book material. you might as well earn bucks for that ;)

-A-

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:57:00 pm  
Blogger mignac said...

see fongi, people come to your site thru me too! so technically, im your bugaw too :D

is that chinggay who i think it is? how come she comments on your blog and never on mine? haha

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:36:00 pm  
Blogger super inday said...

nyahaha... mukhang best seller itong post na 'to ah... ;)

migs - if you mean chinggay sister of toto, yes, she's the same person ;) she probably doesn't leave comments coz she 1. does not know you have a blog; 2. cannot relate to what you're posting; or 3. my entries are just waaaay more interesting than yours wahahaha! and thanks for being a bugaw hahaha =p i love it when my blog gets so much traffic =D

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:50:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home