Google

Sunday, July 31, 2005

last day

it's the last day of july. and officially, my last day of work. except that today is a sunday, so my last working day was on friday.

just so you know, "last day" means "last twenty-four hours". that's right. yours truly was stuck at the office from 9am friday until 10am saturday. with only 30mins of sleep in between. whoopeee!

i don't exactly know what possessed me to stay the night. it wasn't really my project. i wasn't directly responsible for anything. i was just helping out. i could have left any time, but i didn't. call me weird, but i stayed until my sketching class at 10am. and i even planned to meet a client at 2pm. yeah, i'm crazy.

it was just a given, that i had to stay until everything was done. besides, the work was a nice change from my usual boring autocad encoding. it gave me some degree of artistic freedom, creative input... it was photoshop!!! how can you say NO to that???

there was also the fact that i could work with others as a team again. practically the whole time i was at that firm, i worked alone. just me, myself, & i. nobody to help with the workload, nobody to commiserate when the boss was being a pain in the arse.

plus, the project itself was pretty exciting. it was a competition entry for a cultural center. being that, it was less about technical stuff and more about pure design. it was a refreshing change from the usual "that's not structurally workable" mindframe.

then there's the thrill of working on a deadline. i just love buzzer-beaters. the adrenaline rush is something else. and the satisfaction of being able to come up with decent work multiplies when it was done under photo-finish conditions.

i guess all these things put together just made me decide to burn the midnight oil on my last day of work. and it sure doesn't hurt to put a competition entry on my resume and portfolio.

it was the first and last time i worked overnight in that firm, and for that excuse of a boss. and lord knows i wouldn't want to repeat it.

then again, i just might surprise myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home